INDIRA..A BLOOMING BUD
(HEALTH AWARENESS CAMPAIGN PROGRAMME FOR ADOLESCENT GIRLS)
- 1. A unique programme of health awareness campaign for adolescent girls (10 to 19 yrs age group) under the name and style of "Indira... A Blooming Bud" is launched in the District by the District Collector, Karimnagar Smt.Smita Sabharwal garu on 28 - 07 - 2011 at Govt. High School, Mankammathota, Karimnagar.
- 2. The term Adolescence is derived from the Latin word "Adolescere" which means to grow, to mature.
- 3. It is a time of physical and emotional change as a body matures and the mind becomes more questioning and independent.
- 4. These are the formative years of life of an individual when major physical, psychological and behavioural changes take place.
OBJECTIVES OF THE PROGRAMME:
- 1. To improve nutritional and health status of girls in age group of 10 -19 yrs.
- 2. To promote awareness of health, hygiene, nutrition and family welfare.
- 3. IFA supplementation along with deworming.
- 4. Non-formal education to adolescent girls. Emphasis on life education aspects including physical, development and sex education.
- 5. To appreciate physical, physiological and social changes and development during the process of growing up, conception and consequences of adolescent pregnancy, and to be aware of the HIV/AIDS pandemic and implication of drug abuse.
WHY PAY ATTENTION TO THE HEALTH OF ADOLESCENTS
To reduce death and disease in Adolescence
To reduce the burden of disease in later life:
- 1. An estimated 1.7 million young people aged from 10 to 19 die each year due to accidents,violence,pregnancy related problems of illnesses.
To invest in health today and tomorrow:
- 1. Malnutrition in Adolescence can lead to life long health problems
- 2. Failure to care for the health needs of young pregnant women damage their own health and that of their babies.
- 1. Today's Adolescents are tomorrow's parents, teachers and community leaders.
HEALTH PROBLEMS OF ADOLESCENTS:
MAL NUTRITION & IRON DEFICIENCY:
- 1. Inadequate diet can delay or impair healthy development, stunting during adolescence.
- 2. Anemia is one of the most important side malnutrition .In extreme cases eating disorders such as bulimia and anorexia can permanently damage physical and mental health and early death.
MENTAL HEALTH PROBLEMS:
- 1. Depression is common, especially for young people who have low self esteem.
- 2. Adolescent's girls are more prone to depression due to Pre menstrual tension and menstrual, irregularities.
EARLY AND UNPROTECTED SEX:
- 1. Many young people become sexually active without planning the sexual relationship or thinking about the consequences.
- 2. This results into the high number of unwanted pregnancies and unsafe abortions and the step rise in HIV infection.
STRATEGIES FOR PROMOTION OF ADOLESCENT HEALTH:
A - Adoption of health life style.
D - Develop appropriate strategy, discourage early marriage and teenage
O - Organize adolescent/youth friendly clinic.
L - Life skill training, legal support, liaison with peer, parents.
E - Educate about sexuality, safe sex, spirituality, responsible parent hood.
S - Safe, secure and supportive environment to be provided.
C - Counseling/Curriculum in school inclusive of family life education.
E - Enable and empower for responsible citizenship
N - Networking for experience sharing
T - Training for income generation, teen clubs.
- 1. District Medical and Health Department in co-ordination with NGO organization RAINBOW, a team of lady doctors conducted awareness campaign in 12 High Schools ( 4 urban area and 8 Rural area )
- 2. Adolescent girls in large number along with their mothers were sensitized
- 3. Girls with Anemia were identified in the programme and treated and are listed for follow up.
- 4. District Authorities are planning to implement the programme in all High Schools in the District.